Motor Cycle Trends.

I purchased a scooter to commute to work. I mentioned to my friend very proudly -'I see many scooters on the road then ever before - I am glad I have one'. My friend said 'Oh that's because you purchased one. You will see vehicle you recently purchased on the road'


That got me thinking. Are there truly more motorscooters on the road - or I am rationalizing my purchase? What is the market trend? Are more people purchasing motorscooters compared with Automobiles?

To answer the question rationally I decided to crunch some numbers.
Aparently, Federal Highway Administration keeps record of number of vehicles registered per state.

I downloaded data from year 2000 to 2008. Indeed the number of motorscooters on road are increasing! In 2000, there was one motorscooter per 40 cars. In 2008, there is one motorscooter per 27 automobiles. Clearly, number of motorscooters on the road are rising.



Then, I compared percentage yearly growth. That data was even more mesmerizing.

2000-2007 were growth years for automobile industry in general. People purchased cars and motorscooters. People were buying motorcycles compared with automobiles. Motorcycles enjoyed greater growth.

However, year 2008 was worst year for the industry as mentioned by this usa today article . Automobiles growth drop to -0.61%. Motorscotter growth was even worst at -1.3%.


I wondered, why did motorscooters growth dropped drastically compared with automobile?

This is completely backward. With 80 miles per gallon mileage, I would expect that consumers would buy more scooters in recession. As depicted in this NPR article . But the numbers prove that consumers preferred automobiles. In recession, Americans sticked with tried and trusted automobiles. we deemed Motorcycles as indulgence - a purchase that can be postponed or avoided. In consumers mind - there is no substitute for automobiles.

Comments

bavads said…
let me be the first one to comment...

liked the article / post... good data and research on the subject..

my take (without any research) is that car is a must have and then ppl would buy a motorcycle... so only in good times, ppl would buy them as they are not primary but secondary needs.

in bad times, these purchases would get affected...

Popular Posts